Your Finest Dental Experience Here
Welcome to Union Street Dentistry
Are you missing teeth and looking for a permanent solution to restore your smile? Look only as far as Union Street Dental in Schenectady, NY. Our team of experienced dental professionals specializes in dental implant procedures that will leave you with a smile that looks and feels natural. In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of dental implants and what you can expect during the procedure.
what is Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a type of tooth replacement that involves placing an artificial tooth root into the jawbone. The implant is typically made of titanium, a biocompatible material that can fuse with the jawbone in a process called osseointegration. Once the implant has merged with the jawbone, a custom-made crown is attached to the top, creating a natural-looking and functional replacement tooth. Dental implants can replace a single missing tooth, several missing teeth, or even an entire arch of teeth. They are a permanent solution that can last many years with proper care and maintenance. Dental implants are popular for those who want a more natural-looking and stable alternative to traditional dentures or bridges. They can improve the appearance of your smile, boost your confidence, and enhance your oral health.
Why Dental Implants are Important for Your Oral Health:
When you lose a tooth due to injury or decay, it’s essential to replace it as soon as possible. This is because the missing tooth can cause several oral health problems, including:
- Shifting Teeth: When there is a gap in your smile, nearby teeth will shift to fill the space. This can cause misalignment and bite issues, leading to further dental problems.
- Bone Loss: When a tooth is missing, the bone underneath can deteriorate. This can weaken the surrounding teeth and make them more likely to fall out.
- Gum Disease: The gap left by a missing tooth can also lead to gum disease. The exposed gum tissue is more susceptible to infection and inflammation, which can spread to other teeth.
Dental implants are a great way to avoid these issues and keep your smile healthy. They permanently replace your missing tooth, anchoring it into the jawbone just like a natural tooth root.
The Dental Implant Procedure at Union Street Dental:
Union Street Dental uses the latest technology to ensure a safe and comfortable dental implant procedure. Here’s what you can expect during your appointment:
- Initial Consultation: Before the procedure, we’ll thoroughly examine your teeth and jawbone to determine if dental implants are right for you.
- Implant Placement: During the first part of the procedure, we’ll place the implant into the jawbone. This will be done under local anaesthesia to ensure your comfort.
- Healing Period: After the implant is placed, there will be a healing period of several months while the implant fuses with the jawbone.
- Abutment Placement: Once the implant has fused with the jawbone, we’ll place an abutment on top. This will serve as the connection point for your new tooth.
- Crown Placement: Finally, we’ll attach a custom crown to the abutment, giving you a natural-looking and functional replacement tooth.
Bone & Socket Grafting
Bone grafting involves adding bone material to the jawbone to strengthen it and provide a stable foundation for the implant. This is often necessary if the patient has experienced bone loss in the jaw due to periodontal disease, trauma, or other factors. During bone grafting, bone material is typically taken from another part of the patient’s body or a donor source and placed into the jawbone. Over time, the grafted bone will fuse with the existing bone, creating a strong and stable base for the dental implant.
Socket grafting is a similar procedure performed when a tooth is extracted. When a tooth is removed, the socket that holds the tooth in place can begin to deteriorate. Socket grafting involves placing bone material into the empty socket to preserve the bone and prevent further deterioration. This procedure can also improve the chances of successful dental implant placement.
What Is The Cost Of A Dental Implant?
The overall cost of your dental implant depends on each specific patient. The cost will depend on how many teeth you need to be replaced.